What's New 2015
This section will keep you up to date with important news and events related to the Friends of Gledhow Valley Woods, the local community, and this web site. If you have any news you would like to appear in this section please contact us.
22 Jun 2015
Please Help FGVW Win a Wildflower Meadow Grant
FGVW would like to create a wildflower meadow on the open area of land between the carriageway and the lake. This area was once grassland and before that presumably meadow land so we are either restoring or creating a meadow. Our first meadow at the other end of the lake is thriving and flowers from April to October, with different species coming to the fore at different times. It has been a great success as it is often alive with a variety of insects.
We have the promise of a grant for the new meadow, but for our application to succeed we need to show support from the community, saying that they think it is a good idea together with a few reasons why.
Wildflower meadows have declined drastically, by around 97% since the 1930's. To help we can either stop destroying them, restore existing ones or create new ones.
If you agree that restoring/creating a wildflower meadow is a good idea, please e-mail us with a brief message of support. Some suggestions for saying why it's a good idea are shown below, but you can put whatever you like:
- Wildflower meadows are an important wildlife habitat for many species.
- They attract a number of animal species which feed on wildflowers or other animals found in wildflower meadows, or which create a home in these meadows.
- Nectar producing flowers are frequently visited by honey bees, bumblebees and butterflies.
- Larvae of butterflies and moths graze on the leaves, while birds and other small mammals hunt for insects and search for other types of food.
- Native wildflowers play an important role in maintenance of biodiversity and a balance in the ecosystem.
Please send your messages to email@example.com by 26 June 2015.
21 Jun 2015
FGVW Wins 2015 "Best Team/Club" CARA Award
FGVW has been voted "Best Team/Club" in the 2015 CARA Chapel Allerton Community Awards. We were also a finalist in the "Contribution to the Community" section.
A huge thank you to CARA (@CaraChapelA) and everyone who helped us win.
Visit the CARA web site for more information...
01 Jun 2015
16th FGVW Family FunDay Coming 13 June 2015
The Friends of Gledhow Valley Woods invite you to their 16th Annual Family FunDay!
The FunDay brings local people together for an afternoon of fun, activities and entertainment focussing on the local woodland and the plants and wildlife that live there. There are loads of displays, activities, games and entertainments to keep the whole family busy, not to mention home-made refreshments and live music!
When & where:
- Saturday June 13th 2015 (1.30pm - 5.00pm)
Grassland area adjacent to Gledhow Valley Road and Allerton Grange Way.
- Animal visitors from Morley Exotic Animal Rescue
- Live music from Corpus Christie Brass Band, Alwoodley Community Choir and The Roundhay Ukulele Group
- Talon Falconry birds of prey
- Children's Magic Show from Jonty the Magician
- Drum circle with Daftasadrum
- Bees and beekeeping
- Willow craft
- Plant sale
- Radish books and gifts
- Face painting
- Parachute games
- Circus skills
- Grand raffle
- Tin Can Alley
- Clay modelling
- Bird box making
- Start birdwatching
- Home-made refreshments
- Find out what the Friends are doing to enhance your local woodland
- FGVW gift stall including coasters, mugs, postcards, greetings cards, badges, etc.
- ...And much more!
Please can you help?
We badly need volunteers who can help out on the FunDay either by bringing food for the refreshments stall, helping to put up the tents and marquees in the morning, or helping to look after the stalls or sell raffle tickets in the afternoon.
- If you are able to spare any time, please contact us and let us know.
It doesn't matter if you can only spare an hour ...all help will be gratefully appreciated!
Have a look in the Events Gallery to find out what happened at last year's Family FunDay.
04 May 2015
FGVW Grant Application Needs Your Votes
FGVW has applied for an Aviva Community Fund grant of £1,000 and we need your help. Our project to create a wildflower meadow is listed on the Aviva Community Fund website and you can vote for us up to 10 times. Projects with the most votes will be awarded the grants.
Please vote for us here!
07 January 2015
FGVW AGM Coming Friday 23 January 2015!
Happy New Year!
The FGVW Annual General Meeting is to be held on Friday 23 January 2015 (7.30pm onwards).
Please note that the AGM is held to receive annual reports and to elect officers only. Other business is dealt with at our regular Core Group meetings.
The Three Hulats Pub (13 Harrogate Road, Chapel Allerton) has kindly agreed to host the meeting once again. Food will be provided, and all are welcome to attend. The positions of Chair, Treasurer and Secretary are open for voting, but nominations for these posts must be received before the day.
As space is limited it would be helpful to know who is attending so please, if possible, contact us to let us know you're coming.